The only real fear I had about this adventure was that I might
be expected to become the actual teacher. I voiced my concern to Fred the first
day and he said not to worry, that I was there to observe and help. That is
exactly what I did the first day, checking papers for the fourth grade teacher,
Mohammad, walking around the room to see if the girls were doing what they were
supposed to be doing and following along
as the day progessed. So much for teacher education in Ghana. Tuesday, Mohammad
told me at 8:30 that he had to take someone to work, and not to forget to do
math after the mid-morning break. Wait—what?! On my own, with 15 fourth grade
girls, most around 12 years old, a classroom with more flies than pieces of
paper, a sizzling 90 degrees inside by my estimation and five hours to kill.
(Imagine being an entertainer with a five hour routine.) I pulled out every
trick in the book from action songs, to math games, to a chapter from their
English book. We had the old lady swallow a fly, met Simon who says, and talked
about what is sold in markets. The hours dragged on and sweat began to run down
my back. The two breaks seemed like minutes, but in the end, I did it,
including a very stern lecture about being kind and respectful. To be fair,
Mohammad did come back around 1:00. School is out at 1:30. He stepped in and
taught a civics lesson on the responsibilities of the federal legislature,
which he wrote on the board and had them copy in their little books. By
comparison, I was concerned that they didn’t know all the colors, names of
foods, the difference between fruits and vegetables, and that two of them just
had no idea how to read at all.
Today I came in more
prepared, which was good because I didn’t lay eyes on Mohammad till about
12:30. Besides being the fourth grade teacher, he is also the head of the
primary school so maybe he was taking care of business elsewhere. After my
serious chat with the girls yesterday, things were much more cooperative and we
got lots of things done. They aren’t used to forming an answer, an opinion, or
a preference which is totally different from the current conversational,
higher-order thinking work we do at Eldridge Park School, and he seemed amazed
at my approach. He did ask me a lot of questions today, and I think his tone of
voice has softened somewhat with the girls. And the students themselves are as
happy, mischievous, and full of life as any kids I know. I’m beginning to feel
at home here.
WOW! You are amazing Angeline...can't wait to read more...be safe!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure! They are going to want to keep you forever! Can’t wait for more stories.
ReplyDelete